January 31, 2024

On Finding My Personal Style

 

Who said new year, new me? I have got to raise my hand and say me too! Well, that may sound a little way too cliché but 2024 is not about being a new me but rather about becoming a better and improved version of me, before even getting started, once again, I hope you all have had a great start of the year. Thus far so good for me and also, I really can not believe that January is over, how? Every new year time speeds up so fast, days go by so quickly and they feel like they are no longer 24 hrs long but fewer! Very shocking, I know but it shouldn't even surprise me at this point. 

Back to today's topic, it's no longer new news that I've been going through changes, and said changes also mean, having a slight minor and small "wardrobe change". A goal of mine since mid-2023 has been become that woman I have always wanted to and for me, she has to dress 'properly' aka a lot better if I say so, not only for her personal, professional/work life but also for Church. I didn't want to keep wearing jeans and don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about wearing jeans but I just want to dress a little differently to feel good about myself and what I wear because what we wear is a reflection of who we are as well as of our mood, depending on what we choose to wear for the day, at the same time I have reached that age/point in life where I simply do not want to wear any more tight clothes, JUST NO! 

A couple of weeks ago, I went through old photos of me whilst I was in my teenage years, I could see I had several styles and wore as many colorful clothes as I could and let me tell you, I was really surprised when I saw my younger self wearing vibrant colors. I looked at me and then I looked at her, my old self, and wondered, what did it change? what happened? Why do I dress because I have to but I no longer have fun in the process as I used to do it back then? 

THE WHY? As a fashion designer myself and personally, I have not yet found my style. It's been years of me feeling so trapped in my 'student' era, meaning I would wear a pair of jeans, put on either a t-shirt or decent blouse, my go-to crossbody bag and flat sandals and I would call it my outfit of the day and that went on for years, from the moment I graduated high school, 2011 to 2023, a very long time indeed and quite boring and to that point, nothing still feels or speaks 'Melissa'. But then there began to be this longing in my heart of wanting to dress properly, not only to go to Church but also because I wanted to dress for myself. If as a kid or my younger self enjoyed wearing clothes, why not go back to that and have fun with it again, right? I felt so inspired and motivated after having gone through those photos. Thanks, past me. 

WHEN DID I START EXPLORING WITH MY STYLE? I don't know if this was it but after clearing out my wardrobe and giving away clothes that I wore only a couple of times, or even felt like were not my 'style', and kept the pieces I felt comfortable with the most or was going back to back wearing them over and over, I then ended up with a very 'small' and when I say small is because it's small, capsule wardrobe and this was around and after pandemic. I bought 4 pairs of jeans, one actual pair of blue jeans, and the others were cream/ivory, beige and black and I think it was then when the fun began. It was challenging, a lot of thinking went into every single outfit but it was then that I was starting to explore a little bit more with my wardrobe pieces and also personal style. 

HOW WOULD I DESCRIBE MY STYLE? Before I used to say it was minimal but if I go back in time and think of it again, there was nothing minimal about it. lol. I would describe my style as classy, elegant, casual, a bit romantic, and feminine, in other words, something similar to the images shared in the photo below. It's not my current style however that's how I would love to dress.

WHAT ABOUT COLORS WHEN IT COMES TO CLOTHING? I used to have/wear clothes in these vibrant colors in the past from bright yellow to cobalt blue, emerald green, and more. When I was in University I opted for 'wearing' more color again to give it another try but kept it 'simple' but then, it was around 2018-2019 I started to lean towards neutral colors aka blacks and browns (beige/camel) and a hint of color here and there and I have not looked back ever since. Think of my wardrobe so far as an Autumnal palette. I feel comfortable wearing clothes in these colors and the best thing is, I love it!

WHAT HAS WORKED / HAVE I LEARNED SO FAR?

  • Having a small capsule wardrobe: Believe it or not, I love the amount of clothes I have right now, yes, my inner child has dreamed of having her walk-in closet but then I feel like that'd be just too much for me. I love it so far because I've learned I don't need to have a lot of clothes and not know what or how to wear them, instead a small and smart capsule wardrobe with the right pieces gives me endless possibilities and it does spark my creativity and that's what has made it so fun lately. 
  • Knowing my wardrobe: By this I mean, what pieces I have and what I am missing and/or I should get next time as well as my preferred color palette, what styles of tops/bottoms/dresses I love to wear, what types of fits, etc. 
  • Having a 'copy' of my wardrobe but in digital form: This may sound like a lot of work, and time-consuming as well if you own lots of clothes, but to me, it's been what has made my outfit selection process a lot easier and quicker. Again, when I started this, I did not have that many clothes and still do not, so that was a good start, but I have made slides with actual images of every top/bottom piece I own, as well as jewelry (go-to) shoes and bags, if not the same, I research and browse until I find a similar one.

    When it comes to 'style' or rather knowing what to wear, I'll go to the slides first and try it out to see how many options I have. I also do the same thing every time I'm about to buy a new item, see if it matches my current wardrobe, that is if it has some kind of connection with what I already have. It's like having my collection of clothes and I design a new piece to be part of it, and in the end, everything has to flow and be very harmonious. As I was taught, everything has to have a common thread. So, once again, I'm a very visual person, so this works best for me. But most importantly doing this playing around before getting a new item helps me not to be an impulse buyer. (I have learned my lesson, or I think so)
  • Using images as inspiration: If I have a certain piece, I'll go on Pinterest and find a different way to style it that I have not yet tried, another thing is trying to copy that image (outfit) to see if it's exactly what I'm looking for or if it's my style or not. That's been very helpful to me and it's worked because - this is a spoiler - but I've got similar pieces to the ones in the images above. 
  • Quality over Quantity: Look for shops that offer great quality material clothes, this meant, that I was going to pay a little bit more than when I would buy from a fast-fashion brand, but I knew said item would last a lot longer and that's what I am looking for. Longetivity in my wardrobe items.
  • Not falling in the trap of Trends: Thank God, I don't go shopping quite often nor fall in this trap of trends and what's considered to be on trend, which mostly tends not to be 'my' style. 

WHAT HAS NOT WORKED YET? 

  • Not being able to find shops where I can find pieces like these: This one is very frustrating because even despite my weight, body type, etc., considered to be a 'slim' person, I can not find clothes that are proper for me. For example, if it's a dress with the perfect length, I then start to look closely, it either has cutouts, an open back, or a very deep V-line or slits of the side and I am just like why? So shopping for myself is getting quite not almost to the point of it being impossible yet but rather very challenging. 
  • Quitting almost entirely fast-fashion shopping: As much as I try and would love to support local and Colombian fashion brands, I haven't gotten to that point yet. Although, instead I've reduced the items I buy in said fast fashion stores. I've never had problems with their jeans since I lean towards to high waisted slim/mom-fit jeans, and they offer me that whilst in this other local store, I've never been able to find them instead offer me a bunch of jeans that are too tight and I said I won't wear anything tight anymore. So, it depends on the item itself and also, how you take good care of your clothes plus how often you wear them too. This is a slow and mayhap a long journey, but slowly I'll be getting there too. 

WHAT WILL I DO TO CARRY THIS OUT? 

  • I won't go desperate I will slowly go baby-steps instead until I feel like I've achieved the goal of  dressing nicely, even though so far, I've been enjoying it and having fun with it - another spoiler alert: expect some upcoming 'outfit' posts and my thoughts on 'each' look. But I know for sure this will also be a long journey ahead.
  • Keep on exploring more fashion sites where I can find and get staple pieces that I can get to incorporate into my already existing capsule wardrobe.



If you've made it this far, thank you, and do let me know in the comments: How long did it take you to find your style? How has this fashion journey been so far for you? Any tips you would also like to share with me are welcome. Until next time! xx


Just a little heads up: Blog posts for February are already schedule to go up on Feb 7th and also on the 29th. Please look forward to them. I'm still thinking if I should make a 3rd post or not, or if I should make two posts (one at the beginning and another at the end) or only one per month. I'll figure that out as days go by. But this is what I think will work best for me. :)

26 comments:

  1. Another beautifully written post, Melissa! Yes, you're right, January went by so quickly, I can't believe it! I'm in love with all these looks you shared as your inspiration, you've already posted similar outfits to these before, so I think that's definitely your style/vibe. Although do not limit yourself, explore with different styles, what you like and as you mentioned, above all feel comfortable with what you're wearing and have fun in the process/journey! I love your points/tips on about what worked for you and would love to if you shared more of that in depth, especially about your capsule wardrobe (+ in digital form) as blog post idea? I really look forward to your upcoming posts! I hope you're doing well! Take care! Bisous! 🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Mikayla! I always appreciate your comments! It really did went by so quickly. Yes, I think I started loving and wearing puffed sleeves and dresses like that since I got that white and blue dress I posted here on the blog a couple of years ago, somewhere around back in 2020? Oh yes, I'm loving every bit of it, so far so fun! Oh, do you want me to share more of that? I will think about it and share more of that, hopefully at some point too as I already have a couple of posts scheduled to go first! I am doing well thanks, hope you too! Wishing you a lovely day and happy weekend! xo

      Delete
  2. Going slowly is the key, and I have a lot of luck thrifting.
    OXXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodie! I've been wanting to give it a try but it's very rare and hard to find and come by any thrift stores/shops here. I know there are a few online IG accounts, mostly Bogotá-based (and I live in another city) but I'm the type of person that prefers trying on clothes before buying it, mostly because of the sizing, but I'll keep on the hunt until I find one nearby. :) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Finding your personal style really is a lifelong endeavor. And our styles definitely change with each new season of life. I don't really like wearing tight, ill-fitting, or otherwise uncomfortable clothing any more either. Loose and flowy is where it's at for me. I also have been moving away from fast fashion and shopping preloved things instead. This was a really interesting read! Thanks for sharing your process of finding your personal style.

    Shelbee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Shelbee! I appreciate it! Yes, I absolutely agree with you on that! Loose and flowy is my preference too considering our warm weather. I see lots of people buy and find great preloved pieces, it's very hard to find that here where I live, but I'll keep on the hunt! xo

      Delete
  4. Melissa,
    Hi! You have a lovely website. I identify my style as classic and feminine that's where I'm most comfortable and confident. It didn't take me long to come to this conclusion probably because of the body type and height. Most clothing aren't made for vertically challenged pear shaped women. And I live in Small Town USA but grew up in a major city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you SO much Ugeena, I appreciate it! I do indentify myself as that as well, I always heard my mom talking about classic and feminine since an early age, when she used to buy clothes for me as a kid. I then went and explored a bit more during my teenage years but now almost at thirty and here I'm going back to 'classic' again. It's good that you figured it out, it's a struggle to find not only the right clothing for every body type but if I am aiming to go for classic, it's very rare to find stores that sells this type of clothing, this will all be a challenge for me but there's no look back nor I will give up! Haha! Wishing you have a lovely day and happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Good for you with all these changes! I love that you are focusing on a capsule collection and trying not to do fast fashion. Great post!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Kathrine! Yes, one thing led to another but finally and thus far, I am very content with my wardrobe and about fast-fashion, not 100% there yet but slowly I'll be getting there! Have a lovely day and happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Happy new year! It's great you have such a well thought out approach to what you want your style to be and how to add pieces to your wardrobe! I think in the past couple of years I've really settled into my style but it's always a work in progress. I'm feeling really happy and content with my wardrobe at the moment though, which is always a good way to start the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Mica, and happy new year to you as well! I do agree, it's always a work in progress, it was the same for me. I've gotten to that point of working with my current pieces / capsule wardrobe and so far it's been fun and very challenging nonetheless but I've also learned a lot and very motivated and inspired to create more different outfits with what I already have and that I have not tried yet! Have a beautiful day and also happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  7. I read until the end! I'm fascinated with other women's thoughts on style and their relationship with clothes. If you haven't read it I recommend Linda Grant's A Thoughtful Dresser, which is a beautifully written guide to our relationship with clothes.
    I've always been a bit of a magpie when it comes to acquiring clothing, with a mother and grandmother who both loved secondhand clothes, I was brought up going to jumble sales and charity shops and I just grabbed whatever garments took my eye. Almost everything I own is patterned, I never think about what goes with what, my rationale is that if I like it it'll go together.
    I've always been attracted to rich, jewel-like colours and quality fabrics. Style-wise I've wore pretty much the same style for the last 35 years, mostly 1970s inspired long skirts & dresses and rarely jeans. As a young woman I wore clothes that showed off my figure but as I've got older and more body confident I don't feel the need to show it off, I know I look good under my clothes and don't need affirmation from strangers.
    I think it's a great idea to create mood boards to get an idea of the clothes you're keen on, I used to do this with home decor and it really helped identify my taste. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Vix! I was thinking about you and also about checking your blog out as well (which I may do later in the morning after I replying this comment and do my workout of the day) and when I saw your comment, somehow I got so happy you had stopped by! I appreciate your book recommendation, I'll look for it!
      Wow! I don't want to sound weird but the more I hear about / learn from you, your stories on the blog, it seems always fascinating to me and I don't know why but it's so beautiful that your mother and grandmother both loved second-hand pieces and you grew up with that as well, I find that very cool when I see what people buy for a much lesser, affordable price and some just get quite lucky even with designer clothing. I do know that getting to that point also takes a lot of time and also finding the right places if you're looking for clothes, jewelry, etc. I'll take your rationale as a piece of advice and do that as well because, from your recent outfits, I can tell that you've made it work and still look very harmonious as well as beautiful.
      Yes, I noticed that your clothes give those 70's vibes and I LOVE THAT! Especially all your dresses collection, a total dream! I also don't like showing it all off either. Mood boards are a great tool indeed, especially since I'm a very visual person, they help with my 'memory' as well, if I see something (a t-shirt online for example) it's already on my mind and once in the physical store, makes my shopping journey and experience a lot easier and faster, because I know what I am already looking for, just check on the material, quality and I also try it on to see if I'll end up buying it or not instead of me wandering around and checking rack by rack to see what to get. Haha! Wishing you a very beautiful day and also a happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  8. I love that you are approaching this so thoughtfully and taking the time you need to get things right. I am another "digital closet" user (I have taken photographs of all my clothes and accessories) who finds it extremely helpful in evaluating items to purchase and putting outfits together. SO worth the time it took to do it! I'm looking forward to following your style journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! It means a lot to me, especially coming from you! Yes, I've noticed that! Haha! I've had a quick visit and looked into your posts for the past few days and I've loved it so far, so much knowledge too! Hopefully I can learn more from you / your posts to help me out in my style journey! I know doing that can be very tedious but yes, it's absolutely so worth the time! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Hello!
    Believe me, I'm 52 and I'm still looking for my style hahahah!!! I don't like the color black, so black is out of my looks! I like vibrant colors full of energy! I've already discovered that my mood improves with color! I also prefer quality to quantity, I've discovered that too! And you must be a perfectionist to dedicate all that time to studying your wardrobe, well you're a fashion designer so you're practicing with your wardrobe. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you SO much, Marisa! I appreciate it! Haha, we all are! As Shelbee mentioned in her comment above, this is a lifelong endeavor and our styles change with each new stage of life, and whilst we don't have it all figured out yet, the process has been so fun, but now that I think about it, maybe it's not about defining our style but more like we try so many styles that's hard to actually put it all under a label or just one category! Yes, your looks are always so colorful, I love them!!! I - on the other hand - don't wear that much color, but I am making an effort and trying to incorporate a few more. The one color I can tell that is out of my looks is white, just no! It's a love-hate relationship! Haha I don't know if perfectionist or not, but rather have had plenty of time to kill and do this instead. At the same time, I've just been curious as well as I've watched videos on about it, so that's how it all started and also how I learned but I agree, I am practicing with my wardrobe! :) Have a happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Hello and thank you for sharing your thoughts on fashion style with us at Weekend Traffic Reboot. Recently, I've been exploring colour and enjoying the mood lifting result. I feel my style is classic but I do try for some whimsy occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you, Sue! I was still not familiar on how that works but I already figured it out this morning, so thank you for hosting and stopping by! Colorful and whimsy, that sounds beautiful! I - on the other hand - am slowly trying to incorporate more colours but it's been not easy. haha! Have a lovely day and happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Love all those inspiration photos. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post, I hope you find your style and feel happy in it, it might take a while, but you'll get there!
    Have a great week,
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it! That's right but I will just take it easy! :) You too have a great rest of the week! xx

      Delete
  13. Oh, just wait - once you think you've settled on your style, it will all look wrong somehow, and you'll need to start again! I've been blogging for 16 years and I don't think my style has stayed the same from year to year! Your looks right now are very romantic - really pretty and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Sheila! That's why I would love just to explore and have fun in the process. As Shelbee mentioned in her comment above, this is a lifelong endeavor and our styles change with each new stage of life, so you're also right about this and I believe you too. As of right now, this is the style I am aiming to go for. :) Have a lovely day and great rest of the week! xx

      Delete

Hi, welcome or welcome back to my blog. ✨

Thank you SO much for stopping by, reading and even leaving a comment. It always makes me SO happy to read your comments and I try my best to reply back as soon as I can.

Spam WILL be deleted. Please remember to be kind and friendly. 🤍

xo
ℳ.

Copyright @ MELISSA CUENTAS LABRADOR 2024.