February 15, 2015

My Story




 Behind every great designer there's always a story and so, here it is my own.


I have gotten asked quite a lot the very same question as of lately: 'why did you decide to study fashion design when you actually love photography too?' or 'how did you found out fashion design was your career?' and more similar questions like those. So, don't worry I'm going to share my answer one more time, why? Simply because my blog was part of it, and I'm sure it deserves to have the answer to all of those question as well.

I've been blogging for nearly 2-3 years, and all because when I first started I didn't know what to do with my life, back in 2011, I came across to so many blogs and I was like 'what is this?', I loved it at first and decided to give it a try, by that time, it was a personal blog, with a few of fashion / random topics, little by little it lead me to where I am, not to mention one of the main reasons were to practice / master my English writing, as I had learned this one on my own.

But why fashion? I'll give you a throwback by sharing a few random stories ever since I was a kid. . .

1. I was a kid, I remember that there was this supermarket nearby our home and they sold this sewing machine for girls, to make clothes for your dolls, I once told my parents I wanted it so badly, but they said a big ‘NO’, mom told me, ‘you can’t use that, you’re still small and you might hurt yourself’, I would reply back at her, ‘then if it might hurt us, why would they sell it then?' - I never got it tho!

2. I also remember buying my first magazine, I guess it was the seventeen magazine (?), and started having a look at those amazing collages of clothes, kind of like what we would call now ‘a polyvore set’ or flatlay and also what people were wearing, I remember taking all my school supplies, and would take many sheets of paper, and I would just start drawing the very same clothes people were wearing, kind of like an illustration of them (I wasn’t good at drawing)

3. By the time, I would switch from designing people’s clothes of what they wearing to creating my own designs, I would basically draw anything I wanted to wear at some point when I grew up, and also as we girls here celebrate our 15’s, I would draw gowns and all that stuff, including wedding gowns.

4. Once I started noticing there was this dress which was kind of like a trend here in my hometown, I would look for it in stores but didn’t like the colors they had, so took my pen colours and a sheet of paper and would make my own, I asked a dressmaker to please make the dress just the way I had drawn it, and she did, using the same colors I wanted. (I had that dress until last year, got old and got rid of it, not wearable anymore)

5. As I was walking with mom, I stopped by this fabric shop, saw a ruffled fabric which was aquamarine/minty, when I saw it my brain started working on what I should make with it, what kind of design, etc. At first I wanted a skirt, but then I thought a dress would be okay, so I spent my pennies and bought it, once I got home started creating how I wanted the dress to be like, I asked my neighbor who’s a dressmaker, to please make that dress for me, and she did. It doesn’t fit me anymore but I’ve kept that one with me as one of my creations.

6. While blogging I had some 'great opportunities' that lifted my veil off and made me open my eyes big and realized how much I loved fashion, I happened to win and attend a party held during NYFW which I never got to go (visa and passport didn't exist back then), also work for an online magazine but when I sent my 'work' they had already picked their contributors, I also got to watch live-streams all of the shows - front row seat at home if you ask me - but I’ve attended the ones in my hometown, though! Design a necklace for a brand, (I was unsure about mine and didn't send it) either I won or not, I loved all of these experiences but what I loved the most it's that people actually believed in me, and that's what I most appreciated to take my final decision.

So, as you’re reading this, you might probably think that I was all so into fashion ever since at a young age and because of that I chose this career, well, let me tell you that NO, it wasn’t because of this, Like I said before, I didn’t know what to do with my life when I was about to graduate so, I started blogging, I was feeling a thing for fashion, and I wanted to find out if I really was born to do that for the rest of my life or not, and also wanted to keep on matering my English. By the last few days of school life, I still had no idea what to do with my life, so I told my parents in the first place that I wanted to enroll myself in a English course to end what I’d already learned on my own. They agreed and I spent the next two years (2012-2013) attending to this place. By the end of 2011, in new year’s eve, my dad asked me, what I liked, what I wanted to do, and I told him that I was loving fashion and also anything related to the writing stuff, he told me, ‘then why don’t you study fashion design?’, I was like ‘hell yeah, I’ll do that’, my mom knew about this ‘good news’ and she wasn’t content at all with it, she told me that she had never seen me drawing and all that stuff, she said that in a good way tho, but I got heartbroken again (if I can call it so), once I was done with my English course, I felt a thing for photography, but my parents didn’t like the idea at all, so I remember taking a sheet of paper and a pen and wrote all the things I wanted to do, they were all 'fashion - photography - writing' related.

After that, I don’t remember which month it was, I just sat with my parents and had a talk, I told them (again) that I wanted to study fashion design, they asked me if that was my one and only choice and I said, ‘yes, let’s do this’, so they paid for my very first semester which was tough, and which I so hated it, but kept on hanging in there and once I started my second semester, I started loving it, realized that I was so born to do this (as I would remember all this random stories I’ve just shared). I’ve been good at it, you know, every day (while in classes of course) I realize how much I learn and how much I get involved with the topics and this huge industry. I love it, yes there are times when I doubt about it and but then my mind switch from negative to positive thoughts and realize that I can do it and I will - so I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world! And yes, that's my story and how I figured every thing out.



Until next time, see you guys soon! XO, Melissa

8 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! This is such a beautiful story, Melissa! You were actually meant to be at the fashion industry without even looking for it at a younger age, now I must know how much you might love your blog and how important it is to you nowadays, probably start to know the real meaning of it (blog's name) as well! haha :) Just keep on doing what you love most! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. your story is so beautiful, and I'm happy to hear that you've been enjoying it so far, and I know you'll keep on falling in love more and more with it as the time starts to pass by! bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Mikayla! Yes, I so realize about it every morning, and you're right, my blog was a huge part of it as well and it really means a lot to me, it ain't just another 'blog'. Thanks for your lovely and kind words as usual! Big love to you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Maria Paula! Yes, I love / enjoy it so much, can't wait to know what all this will have in store for me! - Oh, I will! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing story. I agree behind every designer is a story. Thanks for sharing and have an amazing day.

    Eye See Euphoria | http://eyeseeeuphoria.com/post/addicted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! You too have an amazing yet great week ahead! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is amazing, clear and pure ! I love that ! I'm going to follow you now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your kind and lovely words, happy to know you love it! Your comment just made my night, going to bed with a big smile! :) XO

    ReplyDelete

Hi, welcome or welcome back to my blog. ✨

Thank you SO much for stopping by, reading and even leaving a comment. It always makes me SO happy to read your comments and I try my best to reply back as soon as I can.

Spam WILL be deleted. Please remember to be kind and friendly. 🤍

xo
ℳ.

Copyright @ MELISSA CUENTAS LABRADOR 2024.