December 31, 2023

A Letter to 2023


As I do every year, here's my annual letter to end of the year, this time is for 2023. If I gather my thoughts up and look back, I could say that it was indeed a beautiful year in all sense of word, if you were to ask me to describe it in just one single word, that would be it, BEAUTIFUL.

It is not news that I have mentioned in previous posts that I lost two of my family members back in 2021 and since then, I sort of felt like I went downhill, I'll never know if it was just mere sadness, depression, both or something else, but I am thankful for I have not longer experienced any of that anymore. I am a lot happier now, it is even hard to describe such emotions but my heart and I are finally at peace and content too and that is a plus and improvement. Although, everything hasn't been like that always because I have had some peak moments of a breakdown but it is normal, I cry, I find composture and keep on going, that's life and take my own time without rushing things. If I feel sad, I feel sad and let it be, if I want to cry, I cry all I want, I guess it is now such a beautiful thing to experience, I don't know how to explain it, but I give time to my emotions and take control of what I can humanly take control of. But, I am thankful to God because I have been delivered from this sadness or whatever it was, that it was NOT good. 

Another year has gone by and once again, I've spent it with my family, maybe we haven't been able to travel for one reason or another, but as long as we have had some quality family time is all that matters to me the most. Although, yes, I wish we could go on vacations. We all desperately need them. haha! I have also been able to connect with mom the most, I have loved staying at home with her and have had very deep conversations about different aspects of our lives, and it is such a beautiful thing that moments like this, I'll be locking them up somewhere special in my heart. I won't be taking any of this for granted, on the contrary, I thank God for allowing me to still have my parents and brother by my side and I really appreciate my family whom I love SO much with all my heart, and I hope we can continue on having this bond as a family.

With beautiful moments, there comes hardships too and that's also what life is about too, and even if it wasn't something that happened in my family nucleus, it does feel like it was. I experienced along my best friend, the loss of her dad, as well as finding out her mom has cancer. It was one event after another, but even if I couldn't be there for her physically since we are separated by many miles away, I am glad to have been there for her just like when she was with me while grieving too and moments like this reinforce our long distance friendship too. We celebrated each other's birthdays just like we have done the past 2 years, sending Ecards and letters via email and we've both been the happiest ever since, she loved her presents, and I loved mine as well, I was so in shock she spent her money and bought me some stuff, but I really really appreciate such kind gesture and I loved each and every single one of them. It was one of a kind, one that I never expected but glad to know we both enjoyed each other's birthdays despite the circunstances. 🤍

Talking about birthdays, I turned 29 last nov.4, and just like how I mentioned it in that post, yes, I have been through changes, changes I started to notice back in mid-August or so, changes that again I don't know what exactly they are, but I just feel SO different, I feel like I am slowly becoming that woman I have always longed to become and for that I am and I will be forever thankful, also, I feel a lot more beautiful and just like I have said to mom and to my bff, it's not about physical beauty but something that comes from the inside out, if that makes any sense. But well, that's how I felt and feel, so yeah. It makes me feel a lot better about myself. 

I'm also thankful to God, because I had what it could be a my first 'job' experience after such a long time, almost 6 years. This was back end of February, one of my classmates from Univ contacted me through my mom's phone (hello, I've been phoneless since Sept 2022) she said they were trying to hire someone, all she knew was they were needing someone that could speak in English and fashion design related and she thought of me and that I could apply for it, so I did. I just felt so many emotions yet let everything, including me, go with the flow. I had an interview on a Saturday, minutes before that, I felt in my heart that was not meant for me and I was almost close to not going to the interview, but I went and left everything in God's hands, the interview went well. Part of the interview was half in Spanish and the other half in English, then I just left and went home. (After having that interview, that just 'reaffirmed' my thoughts, the job was mostly for a business manager but that has had experience in the fashion industry, but again, I could learn if I didn't know this, the 'boss' was willing to teach me)  When I got home, my friend calls me and tells me to go back because her boss wanted me to help her with some stuff and I was like why didn't she tell me that while I was there? anyway, I left and went back to the workplace, and talked to her boss and I was there to do her 'tasks' which part of it consisted of tech packs, and she gave me a week, I think they're called trial week, and of course, I would get paid plus she also would see how I work and also teach me other things if there was time for it. 

Let me tell you something if I have to highlight something from this year, this could be on top on that list, those 5 days were the best days of my life, I loved the people, the work environment, it was small, like about 9-10 employees but it was SO good, the offices and place in general felt very welcoming, actually interior-wise is an old house turned into an office, but really felt so nice, the little patio on the back, it was super chill and very relaxing, it was where we had our lunch, and I would sit in one of the rocking chairs and just look at the trees afterwards. I LOVED the commute to work, I'd leave home at about 7am, and it'd take me around 10-15min to get to the bus stop, around that time the trees were in full bloom, and seeing them made my morning a lot better and in such a good mood to start my day off right, and the bus ride, oh, I absolutely loved it. I never once felt tired during that week, in fact, I felt with so much energy. It's crazy but most of the co-workers I had thought the job was already mine, but deep down inside my heart, I already knew my last day would be on a Friday, the shock in their faces when they found out that Friday would be my last day, it broke my heart, but I was really SO happy for having such an amazing experience and having met such beautiful people, and being paid for it, which I wasn't expecting that to be honest. I feel like those 5 days, each one equaled every year I've been 'on vacation' (aka unemployed) and overall, it was such a beautiful experience and one I am and will always be forever thankful for. This leaves me with a question I ask myself, does this counts like a job experience? as long as it was paid, sure it was, right? and the biggest lesson is, I knew through my sixth sense this was somehow not for me yet the whole experience itself just shut me up, like God proved me wrong and for that, I am thankful too. 

Another favorite thing of this year, was to practice the art of noticing. A practice that became a habit and made me so appreciative of moments like this. An attention to details but more so on the enchanting everyday surroundings that felt enliving. A way of also romanticizing life and observing things with different eyes and perception. A moment of thankfulness to my Heavenly Father for creating such majesty that always left me enthralled, speechless and in awe, because such 'mundane' things that may be taken for granted and/or go unnoticed by others, brought me joy and a huge smile on my face. I find so much happiness in simple things like these, from watching the sunset on the balcony, to going on walks and coming across with beautiful butterflies, hummingbirds or even snails, and just by doing this, it feels like a therapy to me, even more so, like something SO special and dear to my heart too and there's nothing than fascinates me most than nature itself, and as I once said, it is one of my main sources of inspirations. 

So, because of this, there was just mere admiration in me towards nature and God himself. It's with this practice that life got even more beautiful and got to experience such beautiful moments that became some of my favourites and along that, I got to capture most of them as well and I guess they're mostly the reason why I've described 2023 as 'BEAUTIFUL'. 

Being phoneless made me realize how much screen time I was having a day, now that time is a lot more reduced - somewhere between 20-30mins a day now - since sometimes I borrow my mom's phone to check IG or TikTok and then I just log out. I used to capture a lot of things, and I really miss doing that I am not gonna lie, but now, it is a lot more limited and some of those moments I have also experienced and I have not been able to grab a phone and take a pic or two, I have kept them to myelf, because again, you don't need to be on the phone all the time, sometimes I think there are moments that are priceless and beautiful to our eyes that no 'photo' will make it justice, so that may be another 'habit' of mine and yes, it does feels like I am a lot more offline now and just enjoying the present moment, and I love that for myself to be honest!

I don't really know if I have forgotten about something or not and if I have, I may come back to this post and edit it but thus far and for this time 'round I can happily say this was a BEAUTIFUL YEAR indeed, in all sense of word. There's nothing I didn't love about it. Yes, there may be some things that again, didn't happen this year, but that just gives me the strength to continue until I can see them all materialized (they become a reality in my life) there were some hardships and challenges but I learned and they're smaller in number, so I look more to the positive side and good things. I really do not know what God has in store for me this 2024, but I'm hoping it'll be my best year so far, starting by the fact I'll be entering my 30's I am both excited and scared but I just know it will be an amazing decade of my life, as for the rest, I'm just gonna let the Lord surprise me one more time. 


To whom may be reading this, to my lovely readers and followers, thank you for being here, for still reading me and my blog even though I have not been as active as I used to or would like to, but I'll never forget this blog was and is a part of me and I will forever be thankful for you all, your comments and support. I hope this new year is filled with so many beautiful things for each one of you. Wishing you all nothing but the very best from the bottom of my heart!

PS: I'll try my best to post more often here on the blog but if not, you can always find me on my 'not-so-new' instagram account


Until next time!

xx

Melissa

26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Melissa! It definitely seems like it was a beautiful year for you indeed! Wishing you also have a happy new year and may it be filled with lots more of blessings for you and your loved ones! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Mikayla! Long time no hear from you. I hope you've been doing really well! :] you too have a beautiful new year! Wishing you always the best! xo

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this personal and beautiful letter.
    Grief is a hard thing to experience, we must give it time.
    I still sometimes cry for my grandmother. It's been two years she's gone, but I still miss her so much.
    I love what you said about allowing ourself to be sad.
    I think this world is too focused on happiness sometimes.
    Sadness can be a genuine emotion that we need to go trough.
    Through sadness we can reach wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Ivana! First of all, I'm sorry for your loss! I also lost my grandma two years ago as well, and it does still feels like it was just yesterday I talked to her on the phone without even knowing it'd be our last conversation. I've experienced grief at different ages in my life but this one hit me hard. It's really a whirlwind of emotions but like I said, I allow me to cry when it's needed, when I feel like doing so, because holding those feelings didn't do any good to me. Yes, exactly! At this point I think sadness is a beautiful thing to experience to, and crying doesn't mean we are weak either. I used to think that way, but sometimes crying does good, because I can just let things that are inside of me out and I feel 'relieved' somehow.
      I wish you a beautiful year! Sending lots of love to your way and a big hug! xo

      Delete
  3. a letter with beautiful points for 2023....
    happy birthday and have a wonderful new year......wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Tanza! I appreciate it! Hope you too have a wonderful year! :)

      Delete
  4. I am sorry the job did not work out but yes a wonderful experience non the less and you will have even more confidence next time. Good for you. Here is to 2024!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Allie! I appreciate it! And yes, hopefully I'll be able to have that more confidence as well as overcome my own fears too! Have a beautiful new year! All the best! xx

      Delete
  5. A beautifully written post to reflect your beautiful year. Your positivity and optimism shine through and I'm sure that 2024 will be even better for you with an attitude like yours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Vix! Your comment really made me smile and I appreciate it very much! Amen! I will keep my head up and stay positive and optimistic as well. I'm very hopeful for what's about to come! Hope this 2024 will be an amazing and beautiful year for you too! xx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful letter. It's amazing that you are phoneless, lately, I've been more and more terrified of how much of my time this device is stealing.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much dear! Yes and I'm amazed by it too! I didn't even realize about it until I had no phone and it wasn't easy to get used to not having one at first but with time, I have already gotten used to it and saw how much I was depending on it and also how much of time was going towards that little device. I sometimes would wakeup in the middle of the night and I used to look at my phone to see "what time it was" and I'd just stay up scrolling down my phone for hours and wouldn't go back to sleep. Now, if I want to know what time it is, I just look at my wristwatch that's on my nightstand and go back to sleep, haha and I've loved respecting my sleeping time since there's no 'distractors' around. Of course, I mostly miss it for taking photos and also in case of emergency, I can make a call or get phone calls but other than that, I have been doing mostly okay without it and I love that feeling. I kinda feel 'free' in a way. But at some point, I know I'll be able to get a new phone, I just hope I can continue with this new habit and don't go back to spending so much of my time on it.

      I would recommend you set days off for your screen time, you can use it from Mon-Fri and go offline on the weekends or the other way around, and I know some phone allow you to set a screen time and if you surpass that it'll go off until next day or so, but just do whatever works best for you. I know it's hard to do so especially if you use your phone for work but eventually you'll get there too! All the best! :)

      Delete
  7. Hello
    a beautiful letter summarizing a year of many experiences, the losses of people we love are very transformative of our personality, I know because my first loss was at the age of 8! But we have to live with it, but we are never the same again, you lose a little of the joy with which we live life!
    But I hope that 2024 will be a good year professionally, I'm betting on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Marisa! Yes you're right. It is not a feeling that completely disappears cbut we learn to live with it, cope with it and remember our loved ones who are no longer with us. Maybe we won't cry as much as when we did when they passed away and also on those very first few months/year(s) of grief and/or on special moments/dates and such, or at least that's how it goes for me, especially this date Dec 31st, it was my grandma's bday, so it's a month and date where I remember her and I end up crying a bit and that's also completely normal as well. Once again, thank you SO much Marisa! Amen! May the will of God be done!

      Delete
  8. This is so touching, you inspired me to write one also :)

    brigittapasztor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Brigitta! Happy to hear that :) You'll enjoy writing and sharing the good and not so good as well about your year. I've been doing this since I started blogging I think and it's always a beautiful thing to look back on these memories and how the year went like for me, although a lot of things happened but this is just a brief summary of my own and what I want(ed) to highlight! :) xx

      Delete
  9. Hello Melissa! It's so great to read about your highlights, especially your employment experience. I have been wanting to go back to work now that my kids are older, but I am so nervous! I feel a bit more encouraged after reading your post! Have a great weekend!
    PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com
    ♥ | INSTAGRAM

    http://iamperlita.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Perla! I'm very happy to know that, I wish you all the best on your back to work. It's also okay to be nervous too but I know you can do it! I'm rooting for you! Have a lovely and happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  10. Hello!
    I hope all is well with you and that you're having a wonderful 2024!
    I wish you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marisa!
      Thank you! Yes, I've been doing well, thanks so much for reaching out again! I had a good wekeend! I hope you're having a lovely day and wishing you an amazing rest of the week! :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for this post. It made me think. Love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! Oh really? I am more than happy to know and read this, I hope it made you think and reflect in a good way! xx

      Delete
  12. What an incredible post! Love the word you used for the year. I am so sorry that you lost some special people in your life but glad you found moments of joy as well. You going phoneless really stirred something in me and I'm considering doing something similar with social media for Lent. Happy 2024!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Kathrine! I'm happy you found this post incredible! Yes, just like someone else mentioned it above, I've learned to live with it but at the same time, as I slowly overcome that period of grief, I do things that can bring me joy as well as enjoy every single time I spend with my loved ones!

      Yes, do it! I support you plus sometimes we need like a social media break even though that's hard or sometimes impossible, but I believe you can do it! In my case, my phone actually died and it's taking me a while (a very long one) until I can finally get a new phone, but the more the days go by, the more I enjoy being phoneless but I know I will have to have and use one again at some point too. I guess, I have gotten so used to not having one that in my head I want to be phoneless forever, haha! We shall see! Happy 2024 to you as well! All the best! xx

      Delete

Hi, welcome or welcome back to my blog. ✨

Thank you SO much for stopping by, reading and even leaving a comment. It always makes me SO happy to read your comments and I try my best to reply back as soon as I can.

Spam WILL be deleted. Please remember to be kind and friendly. 🤍

xo
ℳ.

Copyright @ MELISSA CUENTAS LABRADOR 2024.